March 29, 2004
Secure Access 1.1 and any later version
Summary: This article describes how to translate Secure Access user interface or modify default labels.
PortSight Secure Access was designed to fully support internationalization and localization. If you need to translate the application (or just modify default strings), you can choose from the following options:
- You can modify the user interface directly so that it doesn't read strings from resources (NOT recommended).
- You can modify the standard english resources file stored in the Resources/strings.resx file (you risk problems when upgrading to next version of PortSight Secure Access).
- You can add another resource file for your language. Then, the name of the new file is in format strings.<language code>.resx. E.g. for French, it is strings.fr-FR.resx. To make the language active need to change the value of the SecureAccessDefaultCulture key to fr-FR (or other). You can also leave the administration interface in English and provide the new language only to users who choose it in their preferences (My Settings -> Culture).
How to modify the resource file
- Open the Secure Access project. If you get some error messages about integration with Visual Source Safe just confirm them. You may also need to update the references to the ARObjects.dll and ARDataServices.dll libraries (stored in the "Bin" subfolder). If so, please do not add reference to the SecureAccess.dll library which would lead to circular reference.
- Open the strings.resx file (or add a new resx file) and modify its content as you need - you can modify the Value column but not the Name column. Please note that the name of each resource item consists of the name of form and name of the control.
- If you are adding a resource file with new language you might want to change the SecureAccessDefaultCulture to the new language.
- Compile and run the project. You should see the Secure Access user interface with applied changes.